Parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents may be eligible to apply for the parent and grandparent Super Visa. This visa is valid for up to 10 years and will let you visit your family in Canada for up to two years without renewing your status.
For the super visa, only parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens or permanent residents are qualified to apply. Dependants of parents and grandparents are not eligible for the super visa. However, they can apply for a regular visitor visa.
Several criteria are considered by Canada Immigration Officers to ascertain that the applicant is a genuine visitor to Canada who will leave by choice at the end of the visit. Among issues the officer might consider are:
- the person’s ties to his or her home country;
- the purpose of the visit;
- the person’s family and financial situation;
- the overall economic and political stability of the home country; and
- invitations from Canadian hosts.
The parent or grandparent must also do the following:
- provide a letter promising financial support from their child or grandchild in Canada who has a minimum income;
- prove he or she has Canadian medical insurance for at least one year to cover the time he or she will be in Canada; and
- complete an immigration medical examination.
Please schedule appointment with us for consultation with an experienced Immigration Consultant to learn more about issues relating to this category of application.